Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Froot Loop Subconscious

Okay, apparently, being bored is not only bad for me, but bad for my subconscious. I tried to sleep through the day, since I'm working a 12 hour shift tonight. It seems my brain took exception to that.
First, I dreamt about waiting in line at a buffet. Not any special buffet, just a buffet. I was waiting in line with my parents, and people kept cutting in front of us, crowding us, and generally being jackasses. I kept growing more and more frustrated. It seemed every societal group that ever made me angry was there. I tried to keep it down, I really did. Then, finally, I snapped, told my parents to sit down, and started telling people to go home.
"You obviously don't have the sociological qualifications to be out in public. GO AWAY!" Mom and dad tried to get me to calm down, but I would have none of it.
"You're late for your breathing lessons! Shoo!"
"Sorry, they don't serve rude, superior mothers and their screaming ill-behaved children. Chuck E Cheese is right down the street."
"Oh, don't even get me started on you. Put a bag over your head and get out of here!"
"You! Serial dater! Stop slobbering on your flavor of the week! He's not gonna fix your life, he's probably just gonna get you pregnant, and I'd rather he not do it in a food service area! Go!"
Eventually, I got the line cleared out, but by that time I was too aggravated to eat, so my parents just chowed down on their lunch and made cheery, de-stressing conversation.
Mom: So how is your job going?
Me: GRRRR!
Mom: Well, that's good. Do you still like where you work?
Me: ANGER!
Dad: I think I knew him in college. Have you checked icanhascheezburger lately?
Me: SNARL!
Dad: There's a picture on there of a little persian kitten that says "everyone keeps trying to pick me up. I think my name is Aww."
Me: DISCORD GRRrrr.......squee! *rainbows and stars come out of my eyeballs, birds begin to sing*
Mom: You concern me, child. Do you think maybe if we got you a boyfriend you wouldn't be so cranky?
Me: *unbridled cackling*

Then I woke up, puttered around a little, and went back to bed. My second round of dreams was far more disturbing.
You ever have those dreams where you forget to feed a pet for weeks and weeks? I haven't had one in a long time, but oddly enough I was just talking about those dreams on a friend's blog, and was surprised to find that a lot of people have them. Anyway, when I was younger I bred rabbits for a couple of years. When we lived in town, we kept them in about six cages in the backyard where it was nice and shady. Later when we moved out to no-man's land we set their cages over by the garden. That has to have been at least ten years ago. Anyway, I always used to have nightmares about forgetting to feed them for weeks and weeks. The rabbits are long gone, but I still have those dreams every now and again when I've forgotten something important that I was responsible for. Today, I had a dream that we were visiting the old house in town to do some repairs (why, I don't know, since we sold that house years ago). I walked into the backyard and realized the rabbits were still BACK THERE, after all these years. It was like something from "Seven." The rabbits had been reproducing and eating their babies to stay alive. The startling thing was how extraordinarily CORPULENT these little guys were. They were like big, furry water balloons. Anyway, in the dream, my stomach was turning, and I was horrified. There were rabbit babies running everywhere, some of them half eaten (oddly enough, when I really did have rabbits, I couldn't get a decent litter out of them to save my life, because the mothers kept eating their babies. Also, the one litter I did get out of them was UGLY, and these little ones were actually quite pretty). Then, I started trying to pull them out of the cages and realized that some of them had turned into hamsters. Not sure how THAT one happened. But at last I got them more or less seperated and clean, and sat down to cry because I had let my bunnies go like that.
And then I woke up screaming to the realization that I was supposed to cook dinner for homegroup tomorrow and had forgotten. Not QUITE as dire. I have an overly-dramatic subconscious.
I think I'll serve rabbit.
Kidding. Anyone have opinions on HG dinner?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So you have conversations with yourself in you dreams. That's way too much dialogue. My dreams keep it simple. I do all my talking with a Tank (or whatever firearms I have available). Depends on whether I'm fighting Aliens or Preaditors.

    ReplyDelete