Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blinded by the light

So Elisha was in Dothan when this big honkin' army came after him. His servant freaks out and says, "Holy crap, what are we gonna do?" Elisha says,
"Don't be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." And Elisha prayed, "O Lord, open his eyes so he may see." Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.-2 Kings 15-17, paraphrased.
Then, Elisha prayed that God would strike the attacking army with blindness, and BAM, they were blind. But there's a catch. Elisha then took them to the king of Israel and ensured that they were treated very kindly, then returned to their homes. He didn't abuse his power. God did as he asked with the knowledge that he was asking within the knowledge and wisdom that comes from abiding in the Word. Elisha didn't have the advantage of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, as we do today under the new covenant, but he did act out of love for his God and for his neighbor. In other words, he did the best he could.
But back to the central point of the story. God always tips the balance of the scales in our favor. God is always the deciding factor of any battle. "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31
He does not lose.
Ever.
God has His hand between me and the full impact of what I am truly facing right now. I keep thinking about it knowing I should be in a constant state of panic and terror. I am always one degree away from ruin, a few pills away from agony. And yet...Am I really? If God is for me...am I really that close to disaster? I don't think so. If disaster falls upon me, it's from His hand, and for the glory of His name, and He will help me through each moment and hour and day.
That's how I am living right now. Five minutes at a time. And when that gets to be too much, I take it minute by minute. Still too heavy? That's what they make seconds for. It doesn't matter. I can take whatever is thrown at me. I have an army on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment