Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This is not going to be a depressing entry, I promise, despite the next sentence.
Today, I watched a woman being told she had cancer.
The way she handled it was incredible to watch. There was no horror, there was no self-pity or blaming. She maintained a serene smile and calmly told the doctor that she didn't want chemo or radiation, that she would rather go out with some dignity.
I am such a wuss.
I cannot believe the tranquility with which she heard the news of her impending death. The simple vocalization of the word "cancer" makes me flinch like a gunshot or an explosive round of profanity. I am not afraid of death, but what might precede death in that case is enough to make me quail.
I want to be her when I grow up.

In other news, I've made the decision to move to the morning shift. Perhaps blogging will become more frequent. Regardless, it will be a nice change to actually get to play with my friends before they have to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment